Monday, January 12, 2009

Home from St. Louis

I am home from my grandfather's funeral, which was in St. Louis, MO. It was bittersweet...sad because of the loss and everything that surrounds something like that; but at the same time it was a celebration of life. Like mentioned before, my grandfather was 93 years old when he passed. He touched so many, as witnessed by the number of people who came to the memorial service and even went to the graveside ceremony. And it was good to be together with aunts, uncles, cousins...and my grandmother - many who I haven't been with in several years.

In addition, this weekend was the birthday of my oldest...I now am a mother of a teenager. His birthday was Sunday - so, since everyone had already left to go home, Robert and I did a little sightseeing in St. Louis. First we went to the Arch and went up to the top. This is something I never did when I went to school in St. Louis. First you go up in these little pods that seat about 5-6 people. It feels like you are in a little egg. There are several little stools, a white light behind and a window door. You can look out and see all the staircases...it is like a sitting elevator. Once at the top, you get out and look out at the windows and see a lot of downtown St. Louis. It was neat to see the old court house, where the Dred Scott case was tried and the stadium where the Cardinals baseball team plays. After spending time walking through the history museum, which is under the arch and watching a movie about how the Arch was built, we went back to the hotel to check out and then to lunch. With nothing else to do and our luggage to deal with, we went on to the airport to rest and to get some homework complete. It was at this time that I sat and actually finished all the "shoo-fly" quilt designs and begun working on the little squares in between. I haven't taken a photo of it yet, but will plan on posting one tomorrow.

It is good to have this trip behind me know - now it is time to focus on all the hockey travel coming up as well as working on some of my cross-stitch projects!

Stitch on... Lisa

No comments: