Friday, July 24, 2009

"Thread the Needle Day" Eve...

Happy Thread the Needle Day - Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday is Thread the Needle Day. You can be certain that it will be a great day........ if your sew.

Thread the Needle Day certainly is a day for those who sew. It also has a second meaning. The term "thread the needle", is also a saying. It means to either walk a fine and difficult line between two things or issues, or to do something difficult. For example, suppose two of your friends are on opposite sides of an issue. You may have to "thread the needle" on that issue, as you attempt to retain both of them as your friend.

There is also the game called Thread the Needle. It is a game in which two players hold up their arms to form an arch, while the others in line run or creep under. This is done repeatedly, the couples taking it in turn to form the "needle's eye".

My "not so" LNS - Needle in the Haystack (in Alameda, CA), and the BayArea EGA chapter are celebrating this "holiday" by stitching and being available to show people how to "Thread the Needle".

Taking time to teach other's "how to thread a needle", how to make our beloved "X's" , how to read a pattern is a way that we can give a part of ourselves to others and passing on our needlework passion. I was taught how to embroider and xstitch by my maternal grandmother and how to knit by my paternal grandmother. In November of 2008, I lost my (paternal) grandmother - but I know that she still is here with me when I pick up a pair of knitting needles to create a simple scarf (I am still blessed to have my other grandmother who will be 91 years young next month). I am sure that all of us out there have our own stories and memories of how we learned our needleart. However, there might be those who aren't so lucky to have someone to teach them...so, if you are interested in teaching another how to stitch, visit the DMC Mentor Program Website. I signed up several years ago, received a DMC mentor packet in the mail that came with instructions and several stitching kits, which I have given to some of the neighborhood kids and taught them the basics of x-stitching. It is also a good packet to have if you have (or know of) children who are in girl or boys scouts (boys can learn too...smile).

So...I hope everyone has a great "Thread the Needle Day" tomorrow - making time to sit & stitch and to enjoy to feel of the thread, the movement of the needle and the joy of the creation.

Remember...Live, Love, Laugh and Stitch often! Lisa

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Hi Lisa,

I hope you had a chance to "Thread the Needle".

No stitching was done here as we are still helping DD with her project. Though she and I did take a break to do some stash shopping. :-)

She used her own brand new debit/credit card to buy her own project! Another milestone in her life. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow