Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday

And now onto the week ahead..
We find ourselves at Tuesday already (edited and reposted - post) - the second day of another easy, quiet week. Robert (older son)'s junior camp leader assignment is at the local summer preschool this week - "working" a morning shift, coming home for lunch, and then going back in the afternoon; while Matthew (younger son) attends the local afternoon camp. I go to work in the mornings, while DH is at home with the boys. And NO HOCKEY during the evenings again this week.

With the low key weekday/nights, I have found more time to stitch at home. And while I showed off my finish of "Eat, Sleep, Stitch" over the weekend....well....I have decide to continue stitching on that piece of fabric - kind of creating my own sampler of sorts. Here, take a look at it:
I decided to keep it in the Q-Snaps and stitch other shapes and things around the "Eat, Sleep, Stitch" until the area is basically filled up and then I think I will frame the piece. Using greens, blues, yellows, ecru and a similar pink, I stated stitching from a pattern I purchased at the Jamestown Settlement gift shop during the Wash DC trip (the 8th grade trip I took with Robert & some of his classmates last spring). This gift shop had a small endcap of needlework - predominately sampler motifs...some small designs and some larger ones. According to the information included with the pattern, the needlework patterns being sold in the gift store are representative of what seventeenth century girls in England and Virginia would have stitched...

"Fine needlework was a highly valued skill in seventeenth century England and Virginia. Girls began learning to embroider at an early aga, and by their teens they often became very proficient at this art. Samplers were used to demonstrate their embroidery skills. typically, the sampler had no practical function except as a display item, but samplers would have been present in almost every middle and upper class home. The importance of needlework in seventeenth century Virginia is demonstrated by the large numbers of pins, needles and other sewing related artifacts that have been found at Virginia archaeological sites. The samplers themselves have not survived from archaeological sites, but this particular example, although it is from England, is still representative of the sort of needlework seventeenth century virginia girls would have been producing.
~taken from the insert in the purchased pattern.

This paticular design is a section (one band) from the pattern called "Tree". There are 3 bands in the pattern, but I probably will not stitch it as per the layout of the pattern...just choosing what will fit and look good in this spontaneous sampler I am stitching.

So, there you have it...I hope that you have a wonderful day and until next time remember:
Live, Love, Laugh and Stitch Often!
Lisa

2 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

Beautiful stitching. I love it.

Natasha said...

I love it so far, your bread looks very tasty and the pickles my Dad and I made they are so Yummy! I am getting the recipe from him and hopefully next year I can can some pickles. Everyday in his cucumber patch we picked about 20 cucumbers LOL Needles to say he had cucs coming out his ears LOL

Take Care!