Monday, July 11, 2011

Looking beyond the 'regular' and 'routine'

We know most days will be regular days.
Our lives will include some highlight days that stay with us forever, like family celebrations or personal triumphs, but almost every day this year will be a regular day, with nothing particularly astounding about it.
Yet within these regular days are many opportunities for enjoyment, many of which we don’t even think about or really appreciate.
Take a moment every day to think about the simple pleasures of your daily life.
~David Niven

This morning, in my inbox, I received my spiritual quotations for Monday from http://www.livingfully.com/ and the above quote from David Niven "hit home". I had just started surfing through facebook to see what everyone was up too and then started surfing through blogs. I saw that I hadn't updated my postings since Friday and thought to myself:

"Well, we really didn't do anything out of the ordinary...do those who read my blog find me boring if I write about my 'regular' days?"

But during my 'regular' days this weekend there were many blessings and pleasures - situations that I would like to remember and share with you if you are willing to read...

Saturday I worked at store #2 - worked with one of our employees who is still learning how to make the arrangements, as well as working on her courage to answer the phones and take orders. She has been an employee at the store since we opened on June 15 and has yet to answer the phone & take an order...that is until Saturday. She answered the phone, talked to the customer to find out what they were interested in ordering and processed her first order. "Now," as she said, "that I actually completed my first order over the phone, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be." I was very excited for her, because it does take some time to get use to talking to customers over the phone while working through the ordering system on the computer. She did it and I was there to witness...a moment in a 'regular' day, but an accomplishment for our employee which is exciting!

Sunday I worked at store #1 - giving DH not only a day off, but time to hang with our sons down in San Jose while Matthew (younger son) finished up the last day of tryouts. Since DH has been working 7 days a week - from open to close of the stores he hasn't had much opportunity to "hang with the boys" and watch them skate. He was a proud father as he watched Matthew take the ice and perform a wonderful tryout - showing that his hockey skills are at a much higher level this tryout summer than last. Matthew made the PeeWee 99 AAA team again this year and is very excited - and we are very proud of him! Being down at a hockey rink is part of a 'regular' day for our family...but Matthew had an awesome tryout, made the high level team again this year - he skated and passed at a higher level than in years passed...and DH & Robert were down there all together to enjoy the moment.
 
During the busy weekends we experience in our household - balancing the hockey activities and the business - we did find those moments this weekend, to bring out a board game so that the family can play together...found a movie on TV where the family could take time and enjoy good entertainment together. It is those moments, during the 'regular' evenings, that are precious and priceless.
 
It is those little moments -
the triumphs, the accomplishments the few moments together -
that should be recognized, appreciated...
as the simple pleasures of life!
 
"Happiness is enjoying the realities of life as well as the frivolities of life"
~Edward G Bulwer-Lytton
 
Ok, now as promised...while I didn't get an opportunity to sit my bottom down and stitch over the weekend, I wanted to make sure to get a photo of the little bit of progress I have made on Family Sampler since I picked up this project again a week ago (after I finished the Pineapple pillow)...
 

Here is the whole sampler..
the new part added since the last posting of Family Sampler is the alphabet on the bottom

Here is a close up of the alphabet on the bottom of the Family Sampler - the part I just finished stitching.
The "W, X, Y and Z" will be stitched below...soon.
Well, my friends...enjoy the little moments in your 'regular' day today and throughout the week. Until next time, remember...
 
Live, Love, Laugh and Stitch often!
Lisa

4 comments:

Branlaadee said...

I agree...everyday is special! You just have to make sure you dont miss it. :)

Congrats to Matthew! Great job. Glad Steve was there to watch him.

Your sampler is lovely. I remember when you were still working on the house.

valerie said...

Congrats to Matthew! You sound so busy Lisa...I don't know how you manage it all. Hopefully one day,. we can all get together for a little stitch in. Love the progress on your Family Sampler!

CalamityJr said...

You'll find as you get older that the "regular" days make just as many memories. My daughter is really devoted to tradition; when she's home, things have to be as we always did them, even on the everyday days!

The Outgoing Introvert said...

Congrats to Matthew!! Awesome job! You are so right . . . everyday is a special day and I wish that more of us could live and think that way all the time.

Love your progress . . gorgeous!