Friday, May 27, 2011

Last TGIF in May...

Progress on Pineapple!

Welcome...
Welcome to my blog...
Welcome to Friday!
TGIF!

Did you know that the pineapple is an age old symbol of friendship and hospitality?
In times past, in larger, well-to-do homes, dining room doors were kept closed to heighten visitors' suspense about the dinner table being readied on the other side. At the appointed moment, the doors were flung open to reveal the evening's main event. Visitors confronted with pineapple-topped food displays felt particularly honored by a hostess who obviously spared no expense to ensure her guests' dining pleasure. This was how the pineapple, came to symbolize welcoming friendship, good cheer, human warmth and the family affection that was inherent to such gatherings. Pineapples are still a treasured housewarming gift for friends and family.

Memories...I remember my parent's having 2 concrete pineapple statues at the foot of the driveway when I was growing up. However when we moved from Kansas to Minnesota, we forgot to bring these with us. Periodically my sisters and I would look for concrete pineapple statues to replace the ones we remember from our childhood; however when we do find some they are much larger than the ones we left in Kansas. Oh, well...

Catch up time...it is hard to believe that it has been a week since my last post, but as you know May was going to be a very busy month. Since the last post, I have travelled down to Long Beach for the trade show
One of the display corners on the tradeshow booth I have been coordinating for the last few months for my job.

and returned back home...on Tuesday evening...in time to give Matthew, my new 12-year old a kiss and a hug on his birthday.

Yes, this was the first time that I wasn't present on the morning of a birthday. Typically I decorate the stairwell with bday balloons, fix breakfast and put a candle in the birthday boy's waffle and have them wear the bday hat while eating. But not this year. At least I was able to make it home to meet up with Matthew when he got home from his hockey clinic. I greeted him at the door with his birthday chocolate milk shake. Goodness, where does time go? I am now a mother of a 12-year old and a 15.5 year old...yikes!

Stitching...above is a photo of my progress on the pineapple. I was able to get in some stitching in the airport and plane in my travels earlier in the week. I was also able to put some of the finishing stitches on the ornament I need to finish and get in the mail on/before May 31. I don't know why this seems to happen to me a lot right now...I have every intention of finishing the ornaments early, I even start a whole month ahead, but then find that the deadline is getting closer...well, just too busy I guess and probably do a little procrastination, too...ya think?

Well, the last "event" on my May event list was a visit from my parents, who arrived yesterday. They are here until Monday mid-morning. Tomorrow the boys get to play Golf with Grandpa, which they have been looking forward to; and I think that my mother is going to come to *The Store* and work with me...cutting melons or skewering strawberries...maybe I will teach her to dip strawberries :)
That's should do it from here on this sunny Friday. I hope that things are well with you all and I thank you for visiting today. Until next time, remember...

Live, Love, Laugh and Stitch often!
Lisa

No comments: