Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 4, 2015 - "Empty Nest" weekend

Thank you all for soothing my anxieties about sending the Torah portion. I know that I have nothing to worry about...and since it was sent by UPS International, I can track it :)

Well, Saturday started off really early (alarm going off at 3:30am) so we could take Robert (older son) to the airport to catch his 6am flight back to the east coast for prep school. It is sad to see him go, but exciting all the same. He really is enjoying his school and hockey year and life in the New England area of the US.

With Robert on his way back to New Hampshire and Matthew (younger son) in LA, my DH and I find ourselves "empty nesters" this weekend until 6pm tonight (Sunday). 

It is strange to have the house to ourselves and to worry about only ourselves. It is like it was "back in the early years" of our marriage - BC "Before Children". Strange how the cycle of life works. 

Most of our day was filled with napping, as waking up at 3:30am can play havoc on one's old body. But we did fire up the Netflix on the big screen tv and watch some interesting movies, like: 

  • Mud - Matthew McConaughey and Reece Witherspoon. It was kind of a love, tragedy type of movie.
  • Our Idiot Brother - Shirley Knight and Paul Rudd. Strangely entertaining movie of a very messed up family.
  • Pulp Fiction - John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson. Can't go wrong with a Quentin Tarantino movie. Dialogue is always great.
I was able to put some X's in SamSarah's In My Garden...
Trying to get the border of this first square completed, which is stitched with Mullied Berries and Frog Legs. It is always fun to see how the variegated subtle color changes lay as you stitch, don't you agree? 

When you stitch with such fibers, do you try to control how the color changes come out on your stitched piece or do you just stitch?  

Well, my blogging friends, it is time for me to go and see what this day holds for me. Until next time, take care and remember...

Live, Love, Laugh and Stitch Often!
Lisa

We cannot live only for ourselves. 
A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men and women; 
and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, 
and they come back to us as effects. 
~ Herman Melville

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I have one child and she's 19, so I can commiserate but I also know its been a hard time getting used to it. Makes me wish I had another child!

I use overdyed and do both. I try to stitch vertically sometimes, instead of horizontally, or in a small stitching area, I'll actually pull my thread so the other end will be the beginning if its a lighter color! Usually, though, I just stitch!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Even though we have four children and all varying ages, there are still evenings that we are sometimes alone...and I don't like it :(
I just stitch...lol! But I'm just that way! I love how your WIP is looking :)